INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Graduate Study - Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences
||Reading in Organization and Management
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
|Merdzana OBRALIC, Assist. Prof. Dr.
||Merdzana OBRALIC, Assist. Prof. Dr.
|The field of Organization and Management stretches far and wide. An important challenge that you face as a doctoral student is developing your own “mental map” of this field. My role in this course is to provide a (partial) guided tour through the field of Organization and Management so that you can begin to develop this map.
|The objective of the course is to provide foundation knowledge in Organization and Management. In a single semester it is impossible to complete an exhaustive tour of the field, thus we will explore select research domains that will give you a sufficient lay of the land.
This course deals with the actual problems and issues in management; that is, how to identify and choose an effective ways to have well-designed organizations, how to understand influence of current developments, and finally how to create the organizational context to develop alternative approach to solve problems. As such, the objectives of this course are twofold:
1) to explore new conceptual frameworks and models which will assist you to understand current situation into management;
2) to help you acquire practical experience in dealing with managerial issues.
In the end, my intent is to prepare you to contribute to the current dialogue in the field.
- Management and Organization: Understanding the Management Process, Flexibility within the organization & Products and services
- The environmental Context of Management: The environment and culture of organization, The ethical and social environment, The Global environment & The multicultural environment
- Strategic Management and Business Policy, Competitive and Cooperative Interactions
- Business Ethics and Global practices, Understanding personal values
- Organizational Structure and change, Impact of structure on organization change, and Impact of Environment and cultural variables on organization structure and style
- Business groups: structure and diversification strategies
- Family business, Problems in family business
- Human Resource Recruitment and retaining the best employees Motivation and Team building
- Basic elements of control, Managing Operations, Quality and Productivity Conflict
- Internationalization of firms Exploring Global Business
- Technological Change New Trends
- Managing Information, Information Technology and business
- Social Media E-Business
- Organizational Theory Institutional Theory (old and new): What it brings to Organization Theory
- Final Exam – Discussion on the research proposals
| Midterm Exam(s)||1||30|
| Final Exam||1||40|
- You will receive the material (articles) for each week.
- The material for the lesson is uploaded on the system.
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||14||3||42|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||14||2||28|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||14||14|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||1||1|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Final Examination|| || ||0|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project||1||30||30|
|Seminar / Presentation||1||30||30|