INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences
Department of Management
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||2 + 1
|This course will provide students with basic understanding of entrepreneurship, its concepts and the skills necessary to make the first steps in the field. We will explore how executives should approach making critical decisions during the different phases of an entrepreneurial company's life. Starting from the vantage point of the individual, we will put ourselves in the shoes of decision makers ranging from technology entrepreneurs to venture capitalists, from real estate developers to inventors.
|This course aims to develop the skills of:
• Develop an understanding of entrepreneurship and the entrepreneurial process.
• Assess the feasibility of new business concepts and ideas.
• Develop skills in new business venture management including opportunity recognition, business model construction, market assessment, and financial planning
• Identify resources and skills needed to grow a new venture business.
• Analyze various exit strategies for new business ventures.
• Create business plans for development and financing of new business ventures
- Introduction - Syllabus; The Power of Entrepreneurship
- Learn to Think like an Entrepreneur; Resource Needs and Profit Potential
- When an Idea is a Good Opportunity; How to construct a great pitch
- Minimum Viable Product; Customer Validation
- Marketing Strategy for Entrepreneurs; Managing Growth
- Founding Team and Culture; Slicing the Pie
- Midterm Exam
- The Business Planning Process; Business Planning Process part 2
- Who are you Customers? ; The Business Model
- What investors want; Microcredit – How much to raise?
- Happiness is Positive Cash Flow; CCC
- Bootstrapping; Financing a New Venture
- Sustaining Growth; Leadership
- Team Project Presentations
- Final Exam
- The Global Entrepreneurial Revolution
- Case Study Discussion
- Matching your skills to the opportunity; Exercise: Opportunity Identification
- Pivoting; Exercise: Voice of the Customer
- Emotional Intelligence: 41q.com; Business Plan Assignment
- Case Study Discussion
- First Half Feedback
- Business Plan Project 1st Draft Due
- Attracting Customers and Employeess - Creating Buzz
- Venture Capital
- Business Plan Project Final Draft Due
- Exit Plan: Harvesting
- Execution/Case Study Discussion
- Conclusion and Final Exam Review
- Interactive Lectures
- Practical Sessions
- Field trips
- Case Studies
- Guest instructor
| Midterm Exam(s)||1||20|
| Term Paper||20|
| Final Exam||1||30|
- • Identify and evaluate potentially valuable new business opportunities.
- • Develop marketing plan with very few resources leveraging knowledge of internet search engines, and other digital and unconventional marketing methods.
- • Understand how to manage an entrepreneurial organization once it has been established.
- • Recognize what critical aspects are needed for a business to be a sustainable enterprise.
- • Create a business plan and determine the business and financial model of your company.
- • Understand the motivations and role of early investors and financing market.
- • Analyze example case situations and recommend solutions to problems faced by the protagonists using theoretical frameworks and unique but practical action plans.
- Entrepreneurship, W.D. Bygrve & Zacharakis, 2011, 2nd edition John Wiley & Sons.
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||12||3||36|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||12||1||12|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||1||1|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||2||2|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||3||3||9|
|Preparation for Final Examination||4||3||12|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project||4||5||20|
|Seminar / Presentation||2||5||10|