INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences
Department of International Relations and European Studies
||Strategies and Security Issues in World Politics
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
|Ešref Kenan Rašidagić, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
||prof.dr. Ešref Kenan Rašidagić
||Ešref Kenan Rašidagić, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
- Introduction to the topic
- Classical balance of power period. Congress of Vienna. Role of great powers in maintaining status quo. Revolutions of 1848. Nature of security threats in 19th century Europe. Unifications of Germany and struggle for parity
- 1st World War. Roles of Axis Powers, Triple Entente. Schlieffen Plan as example of military strategy and drive to war. Role of mobilization. Strategies and strategic blunders. Attrition as strategy. Consequences of the war: empires, Germany, France, Britain, European preeminence.
- Interwar period in Europe. Bolshevik revolution and rise of the USSR. Battle of Vistula and limits to expansion. American isolationism. Great Depression. French policies vis a vis Germany. Strategic orientation of Britain. Reordering of the Middle East, Sykes-Picot, role of Turkey.
- World War II: causes. Appeasement as strategic policy: Munich Agreement. Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact: Russia’s strategic orientation in European theatre. Germany’s war goals. BEF and the end of the British role as balancer. Outcome of war.
- Post-WWII period: political outcomes, redrawing of the world map. Rise of communism. Countering USSR: Truman Doctrine. Bipolar world order. Strategic policies of the USSR.
- Mid term week
| Midterm Exam(s)||1||20|
| Final Exam||1||40|
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)|| ||0|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)|| || ||0|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)|| || ||0|
|Final Examination(1 week)|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Final Examination|| || ||0|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project|| || ||0|
|Seminar / Presentation|| || ||0|