INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences
Department of International Relations and European Studies
||Comparative Political Analysis
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
|The course surveys major topics in comparative politics, including democratization, state formation, identity politics, political economy and role of political institutions. It studies both theoretical and methodological perspectives that comparativists have applied toward advancing our understanding of politics. The course evaluates major works of political theory through a comparative perspective.
|The course is designed to equip students with a conceptual framework required for an advanced comparison of the various aspects of different political systems. It is intended to give students an advanced knowledge of political issues and perspectives that will enable a critical evaluation of benefits and weaknesses of different political arrangements.
- Introduction: A Review of Basic concepts
- Marx and Weber
- State Theory and State Formation
- Parties and Electoral Systems
- Mid-term exam
- Political Behavior and Public Opinion
- Social Movements and Mobilizations
- Case Study: Post-Soviet Conflicts in Georgia
- Case Study: TBD
- Course Summary
| Midterm Exam(s)||30|
| Final Exam||1||35|
- Gain an advanced understanding of issues with democratization, state formation, identity politics, political economy and political institutions.
- Understand the theoretical and methodological approaches that comparativists have used to advance our understanding of politics.
- Deepen an understanding of commonplace terms in political science, such as state, democracy and totalitarianism.
- Apply major works of political theory through comparative analyses
- Improve critical thinking skills
- Develop effective writing skills
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)|| ||0|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)|| || ||0|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)|| || ||0|
|Final Examination(1 week)|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Final Examination|| || ||0|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project|| || ||0|
|Seminar / Presentation|| || ||0|