INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Graduate Study - Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
PhD Genetics and Bioengineering
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
|Lada Lukić Bilela, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
||Lada Lukić-Bilela, Assist. Prof. Dr.
|Functional genomics focuses on the dynamic aspects such as gene transcription, translation, and protein–protein interactions, as opposed to the static aspects of the genomic information such as DNA sequence or structures.
|Understanding the relationship between an organism’s genome and its phenotype.
- Genome Architecture
- Functional vs. Comparative Genomics
- Genome Mapping and Organization
- Genome Sequencing Projects
- Assembling Genome Sequences
- Sequence Polymorphisms in Genomes and SNPs
- Differential Display, Gene Discovery – Expressed Sequence Tags (ESTs)
- Serial Analysis of Gene Expression (SAGE)
- cDNA Microarrays, Oligonucleotide Microarrays, Regulation of Gene Expression
- Protein–protein interactions: Yeast two-hybrid system; AP/MS
- Site-directed Mutagenesis
- Forward and Reverse Genetics
- RNAi-mediated Gene Silencing, Gene Knockouts, Micro-RNAs and Small RNAs
- Application of Functional Genomics in Medicine, Forensic, Agriculture and Population Studies
- Case Studies
| Midterm Exam(s)||1||30|
| Final Exam||1||40|
| +Actively participation||1||10|
- Critical Thinking and Quantitative Reasoning in GBE
- Genetic and Bioengineering Application
- Genetic and Bioengineering Management
- Genetic and Bioengineering Professional Practice
- Genetic and Bioengineering Systems and Theory Practice
- 1. Pevsner, Jonathan (2009) Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics. 2nd edition, Wiley- Blackwell, 2009, New Jersey, USA.
- 2. Functional Genomics (Methods in Molecular Biology), Humana Press, Softcover reprint of hardcover 1st ed. 2003. (dec. 9, 2010).
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||14||3||42|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||14||3||42|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||2||2|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||2||2|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||1||15||15|
|Preparation for Final Examination||1||15||15|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project|| ||30||0|
|Seminar / Presentation|| ||30||0|