INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Graduate Study - Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
Genetics and Bioengineering Master With Thesis
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
|Mirsada Hukić, Prof. Dr.
||Mirsada Hukić, Prof. Dr.
|Students should gain an understanding and appreciation for issues impacting bioterrorism as a global risk and serious threat as well as Biodefense-prevention and response. These include knowing about weapons of mass destruction, bioterrorism, characteristics of pathogens that can be used as weapons, the theory behind lab and field techniques used for detection and identification of these pathogens, public health preparedness and response to a bioterrorist event.
|Students should gain an understanding and appreciation for issues impacting bioterrorism as a global risk and serious threat as well as Biodefense-prevention and response. These include knowing about weapons of mass destruction, bioterrorism, characteristics of pathogens that can be used as weapons, the theory behind lab and field techniques used for detection and identification of these pathogens, , public health preparedness and response to a bioterrorist event, and most importantly, how the public can be educated about and prepare for bioterrorism.
The objective of this course is education and raising awareness of the scientists, experts, public health officials and decision makers a comprehensive understanding of the history, impact, issues, and future directions associated with biologic threats to human, animal, and plant health.
- Terrorism and weapons of mass destruction
- Bioterrorism as a global risk and serious threat
- History of bioweapons
- Bioterrorism: types, effectiveness, dissemination routes and consequences
- Types of biological weapons: pathogens as a weapons
- Bacterial, Viral, Fungal Agents and Toxins
- Trends in bioterrorism: genetic engineering and biotechnology in improvement of bioweapons
- GMO as bioweapons
- Detection and identification of biological agents
- Public Health Preparedness and Lab Networks
- Biosafety and Biosecurity
- Partnership of public health, police, military sectors in response to biological attack
- Crisis communication in response to B attack
- Bioterrorism and mental health
| Midterm Exam(s)||1||20|
| Final Exam||1||40|
- Working knowledge of potential biological threat agents
- Understanding of procedures and methods to safely and securely work with these agents in the laboratory
- Focus on public health preparedness, surveillance systems and federal government
- HUKIĆ M i saradnici. Prevencija i kontrola infekcija u zdravstvenim ustanovama (Prevention and control ofinfectionsin health care facilities). Sarajevo: TDP Sarajevo, 2010.
- Ristanović,E. Bioterorizam (Bioterrorism). ISBN978-86-335-0362-4Beograd:MC Odbrana,2013(electronic book)
- http://www.bt.cdc.gov (This is an excellent resource for information on bioterrorism select agents and public health emergency preparedness and response.)
- http://www.hopkins-biodefense.org (This is the website for the Center for Civilian Biodefense Strategies)
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||14||3||42|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||14||2||28|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||2||2|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||2||2|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||1||15||15|
|Preparation for Final Examination||1||20||20|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project||1||15||15|
|Seminar / Presentation||1||20||20|