INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences
Department of International Relations and European Studies
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
|Malcolm Duerod, Senior Teaching Assistant
||Malcolm Duerod, Senior Teaching Assistant
|This course will provide students with an understanding of issues facing entrepreneurs and an exposure to the skills involved in addressing them. We will explore how executives should approach making critical decisions during the different phases of an entrepreneurial company\\\\\\\\'s life. Starting from the vantage point of the individual, we will put ourselves in the shoes of decision makers ranging from technology entrepreneurs to venture capitalists, from real estate developers to inventors.
• Develop an understanding of entrepreneurship and the entrepreneurial process.
• Assess the feasibility of new business concepts and ideas.
• Develop skills in new business venture management including opportunity recognition, business model construction, market assessment, and financial planning
• Identify resources and skills needed to grow a new venture business.
• Analyze various exit strategies for new business ventures.
• Create business plans for development and financing of new business ventures
- Introduction - Syllabus; The Power of Entrepreneurship
- Learn to Think like an Entrepreneur; Resource Needs and Profit Potential
- When an Idea is a Good Opportunity; How to construct a great pitch
- Minimum Viable Product; Customer Validation
- Marketing Strategy for Entrepreneurs; Managing Growth
- Founding Team and Culture; Slicing the Pie
- Midterm Exam
- The Business Planning Process; Business Planning Process part 2
- Who are you Customers? ; The Business Model
- What investors want; Microcredit – How much to raise?
- Happiness is Positive Cash Flow; CCC
- Bootstrapping; Financing a New Venture
- Sustaining Growth; Leadership
- Team Project Presentations
- Final Exam
- The Global Entrepreneurial Revolution
- Emotional Intelligence: 41q.com; Business Plan Assignment
- Matching your skills to the opportunity; Exercise: Opportunity Identification
- Pivoting; Exercise: Voice of the Customer
- Case Study Discussion: The Art of a Great Business Plan
- Case Study Discussion
- First Half Feedback
- Business Plan Project 1st Draft Due
- Attracting People Creating Buzz
- Venture Capital
- Business Plan Project Final Draft Due
- Exit Plan: Harvesting
- Conclusion and Final Exam Review
- Practical Sessions
- Case Studies
| Midterm Exam(s)||1||20|
| Term Paper||1||20|
| Final Exam||1||30|
- • Develop an understanding of entrepreneurship and the entrepreneurial process.
- • Assess the feasibility of new business concepts and ideas.
- • Develop skills in new business venture management including opportunity recognition, business model construction, market assessment, and financial planning
- • Identify resources and skills needed to grow a new venture business.
- • Analyze various exit strategies for new business ventures.
- • Create business plans for development and financing of new business ventures
- Entrepreneurship, W.D. Bygrve & Zacharakis, 2011, 2nd edition John Wiley & Sons.
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||14||2||28|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||14||1||14|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||2||2|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||2||2|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||1||14||14|
|Preparation for Final Examination||1||15||15|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project||5||5||25|
|Seminar / Presentation||5||5||25|