INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Graduate Study - Faculty of Education and Humanities
4+1 with thesis English Language and Literature
||Introduction to TESOL Methods
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
|Ceylani Akay, Assist. Prof. Dr.
||Assist.Prof.Dr. Ceylani Akay
||Ceylani Akay, Assist. Prof. Dr.
|This course is an introduction to the teaching of English to speakers of other languages (TESOL) intended for those who contemplate a career in TESOL or in the teaching of foreign languages. Through a program of lectures, readings, discussions, and practical teaching exercises we will explore the educational contexts in which English is taught and learned, some methods and materials that teachers have used to teach it, and the links between what teachers and learners do in class and what applied linguistic research tells us about how second languages are learned.
|These are very specific “objectives” for the course and are, in effect, substantive matters of the course. These are:
• To observe other teachers and their pedagogical practices; if possible, identify a central focus/theme and reflect upon these observations guided by your focus and how that theme impacts language acquisition and pedagogy.
• To reflect upon your own teaching and self-evaluation of your teaching, again trying to identify a focus/theme if possible that relates to language acquisition and pedagogy.
• To prepare a TESOL materials project with a pedagogical justification.
• To move from the realm of student into the realm of beginning professional, with a sense of the contribution of your services to learners and to the profession as a whole.
• To serve local communities as a teacher in ways that draw upon your developing expertise in TESOL, making a difference
- Approaches to Teaching
- Lesson Planning and Classroom management
- Classroom dynamics
- Syllabus design and instructional materials
- Task and project work
- Learning strategies
- Teaching Grammar
- Midterm exam
- Teaching pronunciation and speaking
- Teaching listening
- Teaching vocabulary and reading
- Teaching writing
- Technologies in the classroom
- Final Exam
- Interactive Lectures
- Practical Sessions
- Discussions and group work
- Problem solving
- Case Studies
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||3||42||126|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)|| || ||0|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||2||2|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||2||2|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||1||15||15|
|Preparation for Final Examination||1||25||25|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project||1||20||20|
|Seminar / Presentation||1||10||10|