INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Graduate Study - Faculty of Education and Humanities
3+2 English Language and Literature
||Introduction to Language and Linguistics
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||2 + 2
|Azamat Akbarov, Prof. Dr.
||Azamat Akbarov, Prof. Dr.
|The module has four main aims: (i) to provide students with an overview of theoretical models, experimental methods and current issues in linguistics in relation to foreign language teaching,(ii) to enable students to understand and assess current scientific debates in the field, (iii) to help students understand and appreciate the relationship between linguistic data and language learning and teaching theories and models, and (iv) to provide students with the necessary background for studying linguistics, discourse analysis or related topics at an advanced level.
- • The Sounds of Language
- • Words and Their Meanings
- • The Structure of Sentences
- • Meaning
- • Discourse
- • Child Language Acquisition
- • Language and the Brain
- • Language Change
- • Language Variation
- Case Studies
| Midterm Exam(s)||1||20|
| Final Exam||1||50|
- • Firstly, it will enable you to conduct independent scientific investigation of a broad spectrum of issues linked to conflict and peace.
- • Secondly, it will enable you to assess existing research in an independent manner.
- • Finally, it will develop your ability to discuss a defined methodological issue in a systematic manner. The expected learning outcomes of the last part of the course are available.
- • Fasold R. W. An Introduction to Language and Linguistics. Linton. Cambridge University Press. 2006.
- • Hockett. C.F. A Course in Modern Linguistics. New York. Indian Edition,1958.
- • Lyons, J. Language and Linguistics. Cambridge (UK): CUP. 1981.
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)|| ||0|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)|| || ||0|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)|| || ||0|
|Final Examination(1 week)|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Final Examination||7.5||0|