INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Graduate Study - Faculty of Education and Humanities
3+2 English Language and Literature Master
||Teaching English to Children
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||2 + 2
|Mustafa Yavuz Konca, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
||Melih Karakuzu, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
|In this course, it is aimed to teach pre-service English teachers the basic characteristics of primary school students and the principles, methods, and techniques to be followed in primary English teaching on the basis of some applications.
- An introduction to theory and practice in teaching languages to young learners
- Language policy planning and reflections on practice
- Implications of the theoretical child L2 acquisition research for young learners
- The Child as Language Learner
- Teaching Listening to Young Learners
- Teaching Speaking to Young Learners
- Teaching Reading to Young Learners
- Teaching Writing to Young Learners
- Teaching Vocabulary to Young Learners
- Assesing Young Learners
- Working with parents of young learners
- Key Issues in Teaching Young Learners
- The role of grammar and error correction in teaching languages to young learners
- Multimedia and hypermedia applications for young learners
- Practical Sessions
| Term Paper||1||10|
| Final Exam||1||50|
- By the end of the course, participants are expected be able to understand the theoretical bases for different approaches to teaching English as an international language to young foreign language learners and some techniques involved in implementing these approaches in the classroom.
- They will be able to explain and demonstrate the various English teaching approaches, principles, methods and techniques appropriate for young foreign language learners.
- They can select and/or adapt texts, audio & visual material, and other media appropriate for use in the English classroom for young foreign language learners.
- They can conduct a needs analysis, develop a learner profile, and then develop unit/lesson plans which would be appropriate for young foreign language learners in a specific context.
- They can develop themselves professionally by participating in a virtual community of practice of English teachers and prepare materials to share in their local
- Linse, Caroline T.(2005) Practical English Teaching Young Learners.McGraw-Hill, New York USA
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||3||48||144|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||2||10||20|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||3||3|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||3||3|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Final Examination|| ||0|