INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Education and Humanities
Department of English Language and Literature
||Scientific Research Methods
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||2 + 1
|Senad Bećirović, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
||assist. prof. Senad Becirovic
||Senad Bećirović, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
|The course provides an introduction to science as a way of thinking and scientific research as a process of inquiry. The course introduces the nature of educational research and the steps in the process of research (research problem, variables and hypotheses, ethics and research, review of the literature, sampling, instrumentation, validity and reliability, internal validity, data collection), followed by basic of statistical data analysis (organizing data, descriptive statistics, statistical inference, inferential statistics) and data processing. The course covers the main qualitative and quantitative research methodologies.
|These are very specific “objectives” for the course and are, in effect, substantive matters of the course. These are:
• Understand the similarities and differences between quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods. research traditions, including paradigms, designs, methods, sampling techniques, and so on
• Analyze and evaluate the research questions, design, findings and validity of existing educational research.
• Understand the legal and ethical issues in educational research.
• Conduct a review of relevant literature that synthesizes the knowledge from several research studies around the central idea or research question.
• Understanding research
• The who, how, and why of research
• Quantitative research: measurement and data collection
• Quantitative research: descriptive and correlational Designs
• Quantitative research: basic experimental designs
• Quantitative research: advanced experimental designs
• What is qualitative research?
• Planning your qualitative study: sampling, and data Analysis
• Qualitative research methods: ethnography, Phenomenology, case study, textual analysis, And Applied research
• Qualitative research tools: interviewing, focus groups, and observation
• Presenting your research findings.
- UNDERSTANDING RESEARCH
- THE WHO, HOW, AND WHY OF RESEARCH
- QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH: MEASUREMENT AND DATA COLLECTION
- QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH: DESCRIPTIVE AND CORRELATIONAL DESIGNS
- BASIC CONCEPTS
- QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH: BASIC EXPERIMENTAL DESIGNS
- WHAT IS QUALITATIVE RESEARCH
- MID-TERM EXAMS
- PLANNING YOUR QUALITATIVE STUDY: DESIGN, SAMPLING, AND DATA ANALYSIS
- QUALITATIVE RESEARCH METHODS
- QUALITATIVE RESEARCH METHODS
- INTERPRETATION OF THE RESULTS
- INTERPRETATION OF THE RESULTS BASED ON STATISTICAL PROCEDURES
- PRESENTING YOUR RESEARCH FINDINGS
- Interactive Lectures
- Discussions and group work
| Term Paper||1||10|
| Class Deliverables||1||10|
| Final Exam||1||40|
- • Assess existing research in an independent manner.
- • Explore the role of educational research in society and own setting.
- • Analyze and evaluate the research questions, design, findings and validity of existing educational research.
- • Formulate good research questions and design appropriate research.
- • Collect your own data using a variety of methods.
- • It will enable students to conduct independent scientific investigation.
- • Develop ability to discuss a defined methodological issue in a systematic manner.
- Scott W. Vanderstoep, Deirdre D. Johnston (2009), Research methods for everyday life: Blending qualitative and quantitative approaches, Jossey - Bass, San Francisko.
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||14||2||28|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||14||1||14|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||3||3|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||3||3|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||1||25||25|
|Preparation for Final Examination||1||47||47|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project||1||20||20|
|Seminar / Presentation||1||10||10|