INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Education and Humanities
Department of English Language and Literature
||Writing for a Specific Purpose
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||1 + 2
|Vildana Dubravac, Assist. Prof. Dr.
||Vildana Dubravac, Assist. Prof. Dr.
|This course prepares students for the demands of academic writing. It includes instruction and practice in critical writing, reading and thinking; planning, writing, and revision of paragraphs/essays; and clarity and coherency of written ideas. It enables students to write high-quality documents, including summaries, essays, reports, formal and informal letter, articles as well as presentations for professional and academic purposes.
|The foundational objectives are as follows.
• Enable students to express themselves coherently in writing.
• Enable students to write different types of writing.
• Develop the ability to effectively critique your own writing
- characteristics of good writing –structure (coherence, cohesion, unity) punctuation the organization of paragraphs- basic organization (topic sentence, body, concluding sentence), connecting sentences
- from paragraph to essay (expanding paragraphs, using transitions)
- Style and register Types of writing: description 1
- Types of writing: description 2
- Types of writing: action
- Types of writing: giving your opinion
- Types of writing: narratives
- Midterm Exam
- Types of writing: formal letters
- Types of writing: informal letters
- Types of writing: reports
- Types of writing: articles and reviews
- Types of writing: public information
- Course review
- Practical Sessions
- Self Evaluation
| Midterm Exam(s)||1||20|
| Final Exam||1||50|
| +in-class assignment|| ||20|
- Releasing creativity
- How to write different genres
- Writing from a point of view
- Bringing your writing to life
- Writing dialogues
- Corry, H. (2008). Advanced Writing with English in Use CAE (New Edition). Oxford University Press
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||14||3||42|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||12||2||24|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||2||2|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||2||2|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Final Examination||6|| ||0|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project|| || ||0|
|Seminar / Presentation|| || ||0|