INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Education and Humanities
Department of English Language and Literature
||Teaching Foreign Languages to Young Learners
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||2 + 2
|Ceylani Akay, Assist. Prof. Dr.
||Ceylani Akay, Assist.Prof.Dr.
||Ceylani Akay, Assist. Prof. Dr.
|Students will gain an understanding of the mental and psychological patterns of young children and how these affect their acquisition of their native tongue as well as second languages. They will then learn classroom methods and techniques to be used when teaching English to young learners, as well as suitable material such as children\\\\\\\'s literature.
|This course will enable participants to gain a full understanding of how young learners learn foreign languages; teaching listening, teaching speaking, teaching reading, teaching writing, teaching vocabulary, teaching grammar; learning styles and strategies; classroom management; topic-based lesson planning; materials evaluation and adaptation; assessment and evaluation. It also aims at covering contemporary issues related to ELT for young learners.
- Children learning a foreign language
- Leaning language through tasks and activities
- Learning the spoken language
- Learning words
- Visit to pre-schoo
- Learning grammar
- Learning literacy skills
- Learning through stories
- Theme-based teaching and learning
- Language choice and language learning
- Assessment and language learning
- Visit to primary school Observation
- Guest Lecturer
- Visit to Priamary school
- Task 1
- Task 2
- Task 3
- Task 4
- Task 5
- Task 6
- Task 7
- Task 8
- Task 9
- Task 10
| Midterm Exam(s)||1||30|
| Final Exam||1||40|
- demonstrate a general understanding of, and familiarity with the world of teaching English to speakers of other languages.
- create an effective learning environment for learning to take place, utilizing different classroom management strategies, options and techniques.
- write objectives and appropriate lesson plans.
- Cameron, L. Teaching Languages to Young Learners (Cambridge, 2001)
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||14||28||392|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||14||28||392|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||2||2|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||3||3|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||1||15||15|
|Preparation for Final Examination||1||15||15|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project||1||10||10|
|Seminar / Presentation||1||20||20|