INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Education and Humanities
Department of English Language and Literature
||Introduction to Education
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
|Senad Bećirović, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
||assist. prof. Senad Becirovic
||Senad Bećirović, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
|The course looks at basic concepts in education and the bases of education as an academic discipline (philosophical, social, legal, psychological, economic and political principles). The course considers the historical development of education, methods in educational sciences, the role of the teacher in the educational system, teaching as a profession and practices and developments in the field of teacher training. It also includes background knowledge in organizational structure of schools. There is also a big emphasis put on the current problems such as international education, cultural problems, teaching in the digital age and so on. Because this is a teacher preparation/training class, class preparation and participation will be expected and required. This class is student-centered and driven; the instructor is the as facilitator and will keep the class on task.
|As a result of completing the course, students will be able to:
• To develop an informed perspective on public education and the teaching profession.
• To develop a range of ways for recording and describing the human experience of schools.
• To investigate concepts and implications of diversity on public education.
• To make a career choice about the teaching profession that is grounded in a realistic understanding of the profession.
- Course Introduction
- How do We Prepare to Teach
- Teachers and Teaching Profession
- Student Similarities and Differences
- How are Culture and Language Diversity Manifested in Schools
- MID-TERM EXAMS
- Controversy and Curriculum
- Collaboration, Using Technology
- Assessment and Accountability
- Creating a Positive and Productive Learning Environment
- Maintaining a Positive and Productive Learning Environment
- The Societal Context of schooling
- Interactive Lectures
- Discussions and group work
- Problem solving
| Term Paper||1||10|
| Class Deliverables||1||10|
| Final Exam||1||40|
- • • Understand how students’ learning is influenced by individual experiences, talents, and prior learning as well as language, family, and culture
- • Understand how students’ learning is influenced by individual experiences, talents, and prior learning as well as language, family, and culture
- • Understand how school systems are organized and operate.
- • Identify elements and dimensions of teaching effectiveness.
- • Compare, analyze, and discuss traditional and innovative pedagogical approaches.
- • The various assumptions underlying curricular design.
- • Understand the social, intellectual, and political implications of language use and how they influence meaning.
- • Sara Davis Powell (2012): Your Introduction to Education, 2nd edition, Pearson
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||15||2||30|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||15||1||15|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||2||2|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||2||2|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||1||12||12|
|Preparation for Final Examination||1||22||22|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project||1||10||10|
|Seminar / Presentation||1||7||7|