INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Education and Humanities
Department of English Language and Literature
||Teaching Language Skills
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||2 + 2
|Ceylani Akay, Assist. Prof. Dr.
||Ceylani Akay, Assist. Prof. Dr.
||Ceylani Akay, Assist. Prof. Dr.
|This course is designed to teach the techniques and stages of teaching listening, speaking, pronunciation and vocabulary; building language awareness and teaching skills for language learners at various ages and language proficiency levels; lesson planning and techniques of the specific skills for a variety proficiency levels.
|This course intends to provide the students the following skills, upon the use of which they will be able to:
•see the role of English in the right perspective and the rationale for learning English as a second language
•get familiarized with the various aspects such as the nature of the language skills to be developed and evaluation
•acquire knowledge of the current trends in the teaching of English
•get familiarized with techniques of oral preparation and practice of language items.
- Introduction: Language teaching vs. other forms of teaching, the four language skills
- How to be a good teacher:Qualities of a good teacher, the language teacher
- How to be a good learner:Qualities of a good learner, diversity in a classroom, language levels
- The teacher’s appearance and behavior, the classroom
- How to describe learning and teaching:Language learning and acquisition, theories of learning
- Elements of language, sequence of acquisition, implications for language teaching
- The elements of studying a language, mistakes and errors, error correction, lesson plans.
- Midterm Exam
- Defining reading, steps of acquisition, activities and exercises, evaluation; Writing lesson plans
- Defining writing, steps of acquisition, activities and exercises, evaluation;Writing lesson plans
- Speaking:Defining speaking, steps of acquisition, activities and exercises, evaluation;Writing lesson plans
- Defining listening, steps of acquisition, activities and exercises, evaluation;Writing lesson plans;
- Grammaring as the fifth skill, implicit and explicit instruction, grammar and language.
- How to use textbooks:Main and supplementary material, analyzing textbooks, types of activities and exercises.
- Final Exam
- Task file 1
- Task file 2
- Task file 3
- Task file 4
- Task file 5
- Task file 6
- Task file 7
- Task file 8
- Task file 9
- Task file 10
- Final exam
- Interactive Lectures
- Practical Sessions
- Discussions and group work
- Problem solving
- Guest instructor
- Use of educational films
| Term Paper||1||15|
| Final Exam||1||40|
- understand the practices, basic principles of underlying philosophies and the methodological implications of a range of mainstream and alternative approaches to language learning
- be aware of the roles of teachers and learners in language learning and of the ways these vary across different methods and approaches
- have acquired knowledge of the principles of language skills teaching
- have a chance to practice different methods in ELT
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||14||28||392|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||14||28||392|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||2||2|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||2||2|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||1||15||15|
|Preparation for Final Examination||1||25||25|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project||1||20||20|
|Seminar / Presentation||1||10||10|