INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Education and Humanities
Department of English Language and Literature
||Approaches to ELT I
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||2 + 2
|Ceylani Akay, Assist. Prof. Dr.
||Doğan Bulut, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
|During the course, candidates;
will be introduced to the various roles/duties/qualities of a teacher in the ELT industry.
will become acquainted with various methods related to classroom management skills.
will be able to plan topic-based lessons so as to ensure that students are able to communicate effectively.
will be introduced to strategies related to exploiting the 4 language skills in order to make teaching and learning more effective.
• will improve their language awareness.
will learn how to evaluate course book and other teaching resource.
will learn about the various approaches needed when teaching adults and teenagers.
- Grammar Translation Method & Direct Method
- The Oral Approach and Situational Language Teaching
- Audio-Lingual Method
- Total Physical Response
- The Silent Way
- Community Language Learning
- Suggestopedia / Whole Language
- Content-Based Instruction and Task-Based Language Teaching
- Multiple Intelligence
- Neurolinguistics Programming
- Competency-Based Language Teaching
- Communicative Language Teaching
- The Natural Approach
- Cooperative Language Learning
- Practical Sessions
- Self Evaluation
- Students will understand the practices, basic principles of underlying philosophies and the methodological implications of a range of mainstream and alternative approaches to language learning
- Students will be aware of the roles of teachers and learners in language learning and of the ways these vary across different methods and approaches
- Students will acquire knowledge of the principles of language skills teaching
- Students will acquire understanding of group dynamics and their impact on learning classroom management options, and the role of teacher talking/instructions during classroom-based interaction
- Jack Richards and Theodore S. Rodgers: Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching; 2010
- Gary D. Borich : Effective Teaching Methods: Research Based Practice (6th Edition) entice Hall; 2006
- Marlene D. Lefever : Creative Teaching Methods Cook Ministry Resources; Updated edition 1996
- Harvey Daniels , Marilyn Bizar : Teaching The Best Practice Way: Methods That Matter, Stenhouse Press 2004
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||15|| ||0|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)|| || ||0|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)|| || ||0|
|Final Examination(1 week)|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Final Examination||5||0|