INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
Department of Information Technologies
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||3 + 2
|Adnan Hodžić, Senior Teaching Assistant
||Elmedin Selmanović, Assist. Prof. Dr.
|The course explains the most important algorithms and data structures in
use on computers today. Special focus is put on sorting, searching, and
string processing algorithms and related data structures. Other fundamental
algorithms from different areas are covered as well, such as geometric and
graph algorithms. The course will concentrate on developing
implementations, understanding their performance characteristics, and
estimating their potential effectiveness in applications.
- Introduction to the Course
- Algorithm Analysis
- Sorting I
- Sorting II
- Searching I
- Searching II
- Graphs I
- MIDTERM EXAM
- Graphs II
- Graphs III
- Strings I
- Strings II
- Project Presentations
- FINAL EXAMINATION
- Practical Sessions
| Midterm Exam(s)||15|
| Final Exam||1||25|
- Implement basic numerical algorithms.
- Implement simple search algorithms and explain the differences in their time complexities.
- Be able to implement common quadratic and O(N log N) sorting algorithms.
- Describe the implementation of hash tables, including collision avoidance and resolution.
- Discuss the runtime and memory efficiency of principal algorithms for sorting, searching, and hashing.
- 1. Robert Sedgewick and Kevin Wayne, “Algorithms”, 4th ed., 2011
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||75||0|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)|| || ||0|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)|| || ||0|
|Final Examination(1 week)|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination|| || ||0|
|Preparation for Final Examination||7||0|