INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Graduate Study - Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
Architecture Master With Thesis
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||1 + 2
|This course deals with fundamental concepts of designing public interiors, from functional and aesthetic elements, principles and design elements, to the selection and organization of materials, furniture, floors and walls design, light, and acoustics. Additionally it deals with technical systems and introduce advanced technology and importance of sustainable design in interior space. It deals with developing professional presentational skills relevant to interior design projects, starting from presenting concepts through presentation boards to 2D and 3D graphical presentations. It also teaches students to prepare conceptual and working drawings for the given project, including all necessary graphic and textual requirements.
|• Introduce students with the scope and issues related to designing interior space related to concept and application of design principles in interior design.
• Provide information about the importance, logic and purpose of environmental, functional, etc. factors influencing interior architectural design.
• Exercise translation of functional requirements into elements of interior space: surfaces, furniture, material, lighting, etc.
• Explore mediums and skills of graphical architectural language and communication for interior design projects.
• Equip students with advanced graphical skills to enable them to complete an accurate and unambiguous set of technical drawings, for conceptual and working drawing projects.
• Give students awareness of traditions of interior design, as mediums of cultural and material expression through space and time.
• Develop mindfulness of students about the character and architects role in this area of architectural profession.
- Introduction ( Syllabus review; course content, requirements, policies; teaching methods)
- Understanding Interior Design • Understanding Space • The Design Process • Functional and Spatial Relationship/ Space Planning
- Understanding Interior Design • Human Dimensions and Space • Standards and Examples
- Understanding Interior Design • Standards and Examples
- Project Development • Order and Style • Elements and Principles of Design
- Project Development • Decorative Schemes – Color and Pattern
- Project Development • Materials
- Project Development • Space Defining Surfaces
- Project Development • Furniture
- Human Interface • Light • Air • Acoustics
- Human Interface • Light • Air • Acoustics
- Technical Systems in Interior
- Communicating Design • Presentation Techniques • Working Drawing Project
- Interactive Lectures
- Practical Sessions
- Discussions and group work
| Class Deliverables||1||30|
- • Identify the major questions and issues in the design of residential interior spaces and realization of spaces for human use with the scope of collecting information and developing a design proposal;
- • Demonstrate an understanding of basic principles, concepts, and approaches essential in the contemporary residential interior spaces;
- • Examine and solve, to a preliminary level basic spatial and material design concepts;
- • Develop confidence with graphic and verbal communication and presentation skills for interior design projects;
- • Understand the role of the architect to elicit, understand, and resolve the needs of the client, owner, and user;
- • Color, Space and Style 2007 BeverlyRockport Publishers, Inc
- • Colors Architecture in Detail Gloucester, Massachusetts 2006 Rockport Publishers, Inc.
- • Construction Drawings and Details for Interiors 2003 Hoboken, NJJohn Wiley and Sons
- • Designing Interior Architecture 2013 Basel Birkhäuser Verlag
- • Designing interiors 2014 Hoboken, NJ John Wiley & Sons, Inc
- • Drawing for Interior Design 2014 London Laurence King Publishing, Ltd
- • Fifty Chairs that Changed the World 2009 London Conran Octopus Ltd
- • Interior Lighting for Designers 2014 Hoboken, NJ John Wiley & Sons, Inc
- • Itten The Elements of Color 1970 New York Van Nostrand Reinhold
- • Modern Furniture1948 New York The Guinn Co, Inc
- • Retail Design 2010 Lausanne AVA Publishing SA
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||15||2||30|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||15||2||30|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||2||2|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||2||2|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||1||20||20|
|Preparation for Final Examination||1||30||30|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project||1||40||40|
|Seminar / Presentation|| || ||0|