INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
Department of Architecture
||Issues and Problems in Modernism
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||2 + 2
|Maja Popovac, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
||Maja Roso Popovac
||Maja Popovac, Assoc. Prof. Dr.
|The course uses an eclectic and comprehensive blend of theoretical viewpoints to analyze contemporary problems, shows how social problems are socially constructed, and provides many cross-cultural examples of problems in other societies.
|The learner is supposed to understand current problems of modernism and the methodologies of problem solving.
- First lecture, presentation of course
- Introduction to Problems of Modern and Postmodern architecture
- Late 19th -Century Architecture/Arts and Crafts Movement and Beaux-Arts
- 19 th -Century Technology and the Chicago School
- Frank Lloyd Wright: The 19th Century to Early Modernism
- De Stijl, Mies Van der Rohe
- Antonio Gaudi
- Repetition, Midterm
- Early Modernism
- Corbusier and the Bauhaus
- Architecture of totalitarian regimes
- The International Style and Post-War Modernism
- Contemporary Architecture and repetition
- Practical session 1: Field visit to the National Gallery of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Practical session 2: Presentation of rewievs from the National Gallery of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Practical session 3: Presentation of rewievs from the National Gallery of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Practical session 4:
- Practical session 5:
- Practical session 6:
- Practical session 7:
- Practical session 8:
- Practical session 9:
- Practical session 10:
- Practical session 11:
- Practical session 12:
- Practical session 13:
- Practical session 14:
- Practical session 15:
- Interactive Lectures
- Practical Sessions
- Discussions and group work
- Understand the basic principles and appropriate application and performance of construction materials, basic structural systems, products, components, and building service systems at the moderate level.
- Understand the role of the architect to elicit, understand, and resolve the needs of the client, owner, and user.
- Generate technical documentation enabling the realization in built form of a modest architectural proposal.
- Examine and solve, to a preliminary level basic spatial and material design concepts.
- Understand the role of exploration, dialogue and diagramming in design process.
- Vitruvius: \'Ten Books on Architecture\', Cambridge : Harvard university Press, 1914.
- The Four Books on Architecture , Andrea Palladio, First MIT Press paperbook Edition, 2002
- Toward an Architecture (Vers une Architecture), Le Corbusier, Frances Lincon Limited, 2008
- The Architecture of the City (L\'architettura della città) , Aldo Rossi, Oppositions Books, 1982
- Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture, Robert Venturi, The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2002
- Leon Battista Alberti, De Re Aedificatoria, Olms, 1996.
- Contemporary Social Problems (6th Edition), Vincent N. Parrillo, 2004.
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||14||2||28|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||14||2||28|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||2||2|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||2||2|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||1||25||25|
|Preparation for Final Examination||1||30||30|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project|| ||10||0|
|Seminar / Presentation|| || ||0|