INTERNATIONAL BURCH UNIVERSITY
Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
Department of Architecture
||Building Construction Tehnology
||Number of ECTS Credits
||Class Hours Per Week
||Total Hours Per Semester
||2 + 2
|This course is a foundation course for all students of Department of Architecture when construction site and machinery are the topic. This course introduces the elements of construction site and processes from tendering, responsibilities of participants in the process till the elements and materials used in the construction at the site.
|• Introduce students with basics of the construction producers, works and participants.
• Provide information about the importance of knowing the procedures and participants of the site, as well as the roles at the site.
• Introduce the start of the process of building, the steps of it until finishing and the formal handover of the project.
• Equip students with fundamental mental and manual skills to enable them to follow the works at the site, recognize them and be able to note the mistakes that could occur while constructing.
• Develop awareness of students about the problems of the construction industry and the difficulties that may face the construction technology.
- Introduction ( Syllabus review; course content, requirements, equipment, policies; teaching methods)
- Introduction to Building Construction Technology ( Definitions, Participants in building process and their roles during the process, Construction site )
- Construction regulations ( Documents that are necessary for Building, Process order ) and Responsibilites of construction participants
- Tender offer
- Building machinery ( Equipment that are needed in the Construction site, Facilities and plants, Bulldozers; Scrapers; Graders; Excavators; Transport vehicles )
- Construction works
- Construction site – Introduction and visit a construction site.
- Mid-term exam
- Mid-term exan
- Construction materials
- Construction elements
- Scaffolding, shoring and formwork
- Foundation soil – Soil characteristics
- Seminar defense and presentation
- Summarizing the lectures and analyzing gained knowledge.
- Interactive Lectures
- Practical Sessions
- Field trips
- Guest instructor
| Midterm Exam(s)||1||20|
| Term Paper||1||5|
| Final Exam||1||50|
- Understanding the order of building process
- Knowledge of the building regulative
- Easy cope in the construction site
- Knowledge of the building machinery and facilities
- Understanding the building elements and the building materials
- Understanding the members function during the building process
- Improving the ability of handling the formwork plan and building plan
- 1. Fleming, Eric, Construction Technology: An illustrated introduction, Blackwell Publishing, 2005.
|ECTS (Allocated based on student) WORKLOAD
|Lecture (14 weeks x Lecture hours per week)||15||2||30|
|Laboratory / Practice (14 weeks x Laboratory/Practice hours per week)||15||2||30|
|Midterm Examination (1 week)||1||2||2|
|Final Examination(1 week)||1||2||2|
|Preparation for Midterm Examination||1||10||10|
|Preparation for Final Examination||1||10||10|
|Assignment / Homework/ Project||1||10||10|
|Seminar / Presentation||1||10||10|